Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 April 2018

Roving with TonyC... from the back seat of a Trinidadian Taxi

I enter the car, there's another passenger seated at the front.

Front passenger: i don't have any issue with them you know, as long as they [insert stricture on self expression or identity].

Driver: Yeah partner, I don't mind them either - I lived in Europe for almost a decade, they were everywhere, some things though, just don't need to be public... *sound of assent and short laugh* i dont even kiss my girl in public - but to stand up by traffic light in the middle of town and suck another man tongue out he head?

*I fall asleep in the taxi*

*re-awakens* 

Passenger: it have plenty of them in the government, even that big Rasta one [name redacted] yeah, he, I know for a fact that him is one of the worst kind, he's a receiver. I know that for a fact because Is one of my friends from over [community redacted] him go to and get dig out. *All out laughter.* But seriously, big man like that. But I have no problem with them y'know. 

Driver: in truth? I thinking is only "the Chief" that would be rejoicing. Y'know  he had a fella up by me, up by where I living, we would see him round there.

Passenger: true yes, I never understand why he go for public office with those ways, yes. But as I say, let them live. The law changing for them. But...how that work? The law in the bible says *driver dismisses the reference with a "everybody not Christian" - himself a rastafarian* hear me out nah, the bible that outlaw dem ting, is the same thing they swearing in on at court and ting? So how you can swear over a book you not following? 

*I am self aware enough to not bother engaging, the driver keeps checking rear view to look at my expression. My face is schooled into a bored expression*

Driver: well, I don't think everyone swear over that, but how many people really living like that book ask for? Anyway, I don't have a problem with them. As I say, if I have a child or relative who find that them is that way, I won't kick them out, I won't hate them. But the public ting...

Passenger: so you would want your boy child bringing home a man? In your house? 

*driver is silent, as he considers. Passenger laughs mutely*

See dem ting? Not happening in Jamaica 

Driver: how you mean? Of course it happen. You don't hear about them ones in that place there [name redacted]? The ones living in the gully,  robbing people and hoe-ing.

Passenger: so they stop killing them? 

Driver: no, of course not *they both laugh* but that ain't stopping them anymore. 

Passenger: I hope they ain't looking to come here then. Stay and fight for themselves over there, and dead [at] home.

*driver allows silence to build at that comment. Checks mirror. Eyes making contact with mine, he looks out the window at others stuck in standstill traffic.*

Well, as I say, I have no problem with them. Man does choose his own hell or heaven. It just have some tings I don't like or appreciate. 

Driver: well, as I say, it real different in Europe, them free up and everywhere. But gay or straight, some things just not for public. 

*I sit up and pay fare, preparing to leave vehicle, as the topic evolves into a discussion on "Them trans people there, and that one that call herself [redacted] and use to work in Red House."*

No comments:

Post a Comment